Technical Articles / White Papers
In order for Oriental Motor to be a world leader in motion systems for the last century, we have concentrated on technological advancement and product design improvement. The technical articles available here describe the ideas, concepts, methods and results of some of the research activities undertaken by the Engineers in our factories and R&D Center.
Brushless DC Motor Articles
Brushless DC motors from Oriental Motor can achieve up to 970 lb-in of torque when combined with a standard geared option and with their space savings design contribute to a compact and powerful solution ranging from 15 W up to 400 W. With their flat torque, can produce rated torque from low to high speeds easily. Brushless DC motors also feature a wide variety of pre-assembled geared and electromechanical break options and are available with our industry leading stable lead times.
- How to select between AC, Brushless DC and Brushed DC Motors - Comparison of speed control motor technology
- Brushless DC Motor Overview - an introduction to Brushless DC motor technology.
- Brushless DC Motors vs Servo Motors vs Inverters - When it comes to speed control, you may think the choice is between an inverter driven three-phase motor or servo motor, but did you know that brushless DC motors specialize in speed control? The brushless DC motor is growing in popularity in the world of speed control. However, not everyone is familiar with the power and performance to cost aspects of the brushless DC motor. Even in usage situations where it has demonstrated its capabilities, it tends to lag behind the two leading players, the inverter driven three-phase motor and the servo motor. This article introduces the capability of brushless DC motors, as well as points to consider when choosing a compact speed control motor.
- Industrial Network Communications - FLEX products - In order to meet various requirements, Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) and motors/drivers in equipment have been connected in numerous ways, such as pulse train, digital I/O, and fieldbus networks. We have developed products that can be connected to multiple industrial networks. They can be connected to an I/O device and Modbus RTU network. They can also be connected to other field bus networks through a Network Converter (our gateway product). The products can be flexibly connected to a host PLC and it allow customers to select a system depending on their needs. We call this concept FLEX. Since some of the FLEX products have a positioning function, positioning units of host PLCs can be omitted and costs of equipment can be reduced. The FLEX products allow customers to reduce costs and time of developing equipment by using each merit of industrial networks.
- Features of the BMU Series Brushless DC Motor and Driver Speed Control Package - Brushless DC motors have been used as the driving source in a variety of equipment and devices. In recent years, the demand for smaller machines and lower energy costs has increased. Naturally, these demands have passed down to the motor as well. The BMU series motor and driver package combines a brushless DC motor with a new driver for easy use. Compared with conventional motors, brushless DC motors are more compact, lighter in weight, and more energy efficient. In this paper, we describe the technology used to achieve the brushless DC motor's high efficiency and the features of the new BMU driver.
- Speed Control Methods of Various Types of Speed Control Motors - A large number of motors are being used for general purposes in our surroundings from house-hold equipment to machine tools in industrial facilities. The electric motor is now a necessary and indispensable source of power in many industries. The function and the performance required for these motors are wide-ranging. When focusing attention on the speed control segment of the motor market, servo and stepper motors control their speed with a pulse train, while the induction motor and the brushless DC motor control speed with an external resistor and/or DC voltage.
Monday to Friday
8:30am EST to 5:00pm PST
Sales & Customer Service: